Monday, June 1, 2015

Toffee and Chocolate Chip Cookies

To be honest, this was supposed to be a Brown Butter, Toffee & Chocolate Chip cookie post, but I failed at making brown butter. I browned my butter, but not enough. How do I know this? After I browned my butter, I Googled what it's supposed to look like, and it looked like I didn't have as much brown "stuff" at the bottom of my pot. I just made "almost brown butter." Nonetheless, this recipe worked out great! I was left with a slightly crispy, slightly chewy, sweet and chocolatey cookie that I'm sure would go extremely well with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.



The hardest part about this recipe was browning the butter. Everything else was pretty standard for a chocolate chip type of cookie: cream your butter and sugars, add your eggs and vanilla, and then mix in the dry ingredients only enough so that it just incorporates with the butter mixture.

I played with the baking times and found that with my oven, 8-9 minutes at 375 degrees F is enough for these cookies. I was hoping that I wouldn't get a huge cookie pie because I didn't think I spaced these cookies apart enough. I was happy to see that these didn't melt as much as I feared.

I like adding chocolate chips to the tops of my cookie dough. I think the end result is a more presentable cookie.

 These cookies are very easy to make. Even though the process of mixing everything is pretty quick, you might want to plan ahead because this recipe says to refrigerate your brown butter for a couple of hours before using it.

Toffee and Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 1 cup (210g) packed light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups (313g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (plus extra if you want to place chips on top of your cookie dough)
  • 1 cup toffee bits (Heath Bar Bits baking pieces) (I used the whole bag)

Directions:

Brown Butter: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly. Remove from heat immediately when the butter begins to turn brown. Pour into a shallow dish and chill until it become solid, but still soft.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
With a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed.
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
Add the 1 tsp vanilla extract.
Mix in the flour, baking soda, and salt until just combined. (I whisk my dry ingredients together before adding them to the butter mixture)
Add the chocolate chips and toffee bits and mix until incorporated into the dough.
Drop by rounded 1 inch balls onto baking sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes, until edges are just beginning to brown. I bake mine one tray at a time on the middle rack.
Cool on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes and then transfer cookies to a wire rack.
Cookies stay fresh up to one week in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment