Happy Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year! I decided to make one of my favorite cookies: Rice Krispies Cookies. They're crispy and buttery and very addictive!The cookies are very quick to make - it took longer to wash all of the dishes than it did to make these cookies.
The first step is to whip butter with sugar and salt.
Then I added a the vanilla which was mixed with baking soda.
Then I added flour in 2 additions.
Finally, I gently folded the cereal in.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar and salt until smooth and fluffy. Mix the baking soda with the vanilla, then add to the butter mixture. Add the flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing well between additions. Gently stir in the Rice Krispies.
- Lightly butter 2 baking sheets. Spoon 2-tablespoon-size mounds of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 3 inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the pans from the oven. Gently flatten the cookies with a spatula. Rotate the pans from top to bottom and front to back and continue baking until the cookies are lightly cracked on the top and golden brown on the bottom, about 25 minutes longer. Let cool slightly, then transfer to racks to cool completely.