Sunday, December 21, 2014

My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (Dorie Greenspan)


Another day, another recipe. Today was a chocolate chip cookie kind of day, so I turned to Dorie Greenspan's book, "Baking From My Home to Yours." In it, she has a recipe called "My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies" which included a large photo of magnificent looking chocolate chip cookies. I was hoping my cookies would end up looking like those in the book, but it didn't.  Mine had more of a "French bake" to it.  I'll have to try this recipe again to see if I can get mine looking more like Dorie's.

One tip I walked away with after reading this recipe was the use of supermarket chocolate chips vs. chopping my own chocolate: chop your own chips and chunks because "chip chocolate, for the most part, doesn't come from the choicest cacao beans and, when the beans are processed, the chips end up with a very low percentage of cacao." Dorie also mentions "what [packaged chips] save in convenience, they often lose in flavor and texture."  With that being said, I chopped my own chocolate.


Like most chocolate chip cookies, this one says to cream the butter and sugars, and then add the vanilla, eggs, and then the dry ingredients, chocolate, and nuts.

Scoop them all out and throw them in the oven.


And then enjoy!  These cookies had a nice crispness on the edges, and a chewiness in the middle. They tasted great, too (it must have been attributed to the chopped chocolate)!

My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe on page 68 of BAKING From My Home to Yours.

2 comments: